I have made two sleeveless Beatrix blouses and one with three quarter sleeves, all blogged here. More recently, I made a pair of short sleeved blouses using beautiful Cotton and Steel fabric. They are great worn with corduroys. I made a size M and added two inches to the length and made a small hollow chest adjustment by folding the pattern when I cut out the front.
I wear them all the time. Great on their own or layered under a sweater.
Seriously, anything made with this fabric would be great but it was perfect for a Beatrix blouse.
As I like to make two of a pattern at a time, I also made a version in the mustard mustang fabric that has found its way in to many of my makes. I just love the horses galloping across the back.
Then around Thanksgiving, I had just made the Pearl Shift dress by Green Bee patterns which I will blog about later this week and I got the idea to lengthen the Beatrix to tunic length. I used the Pearl pattern pieces to determine the length and I graded the Beatrix piece out to the width of the Pearl and then redrew the curved hem line in a slightly wider version. This shows my process. This is my second Beatrix tunic which is currently in the pipeline.
I fold the pattern just a bit at the neckline which works great for the hollow chest adjustment.
I made my first Beatrix Tunic with beautiful aqua Mochi fabric from Cotton and Steel and used the same fabric for the facings as I did for the button placket: Ghost Saltines by Cotton and Steel.
Close up of sleeve.
I loved this border pattern so I pieced the sleeves in order to make the most of it.I found flower buttons at Joanne’s that echoed the shape of the flowers in the pattern.
Hamming it up for my husband the photographer. I don’t usually ask him to take pictures but I was so excited about this make! It is great over leggings with boots. I was really happy with the final shape.
Making this was no more work than making the Beatrix blouse. I love them both but I like that this version gives a little more coverage so I can wear it with leggings. I love the blouse version with skirts and slacks but the tunic version can also be worn with leggings since it covers just enough. I expect there to be many more versions of both the Beatrix blouse and the tunic in my future. I am excited to make a new tunic version in this green cookie drop fabric. I plan to use this great pink fabric for the facings and the inside of the button placket. I plan to try to sew the button placket with facings as one would a hem. I like having just a bit of wacky fabric peek out of my garments. To be continued!
9 thoughts on “The Beatrix blouse as a Tunic”
Where are you getting those wild fabrics!! I love the first two and the bluish one at the end!
They are from Cotton and Steel, a great line of fabrics. I got these at fabric.com but they are widely available.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I’ll have to look up Cotton & Steel. Thanks!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Pingback: Nursebean Plans: Projects, Spring 2016 | nursebeansews
Pingback: Drops and Dots for Spring | nursebeansews
Pingback: Arizona Cleo Skirt | nursebeansews
Pingback: Me Made May 2017 | nursebeansews
Pingback: Made By Rae Cleo Summer Showcase: So Many Skirts | nursebeansews
Pingback: Heritage Rayon Challis Beatrix Dress | nursebeansews